I love a good jar of organic spaghetti sauce from Whole Foods, they have some great options that costs around $2 a jar – can’t beat it – but when we need a heartier, meatier sauce I love to make it homemade and let it cook in the slow cooker all day. I have two versions of homemade spaghetti sauce: 1) butter, sugar & italian sausage in the sauce 2) healthier version with ground turkey & veggies
Since we are prepping for our beach vacation in Punta Cana, spaghetti sauce #1 will not be cooking in this house for a while. Spaghetti sauce #2 is still a winner in my book and plus it gives me the opportunity to share another healthy, easy recipe with you! I ate the sauce over spaghetti squash and the rest of the family had the sauce over organic whole wheat spaghetti noodles. You can buy organic whole wheat spaghetti for just $1.29 at Kroger. If you are not eating 100% clean, you can top with your favorite Italian cheese.
Also, I used a lot of organic ingredients. This isn’t necessary but it’s something I try to do as much as I can.
One more thing, this makes a lot so you can freeze what you have leftover for a meal the following week!
- 1 lb organic ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp EVOO
- medium-sized organic onion, chopped
- 3 organic celery stalks, chopped
- 6-8 organic baby carrots, chopped
- garlic, 6-8 cloves minced
- 28 oz organic diced tomatoes
- 15 oz organic tomato sauce
- 15 oz organic crushed tomatoes
- 6 oz organic tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbsp dried basil
- 2 Tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
1. I like to cook my turkey before placing in the slow cooker but I know people who place in raw, totally a personal choice. Cook ground turkey in non-stick or non-stick sprayed skillet over medium heat until cooked thoroughly. Once done, place in the slow cooker.
2. In a skillet, cook onions, carrots, celery & garlic for just 5-6 minutes over medium-high heat or until softened. Place in the slow cooker once done.
3. Add all remaining ingredients to slow cooker & mix together. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
4. This is an added but not necessary step, I always check my sauce to make sure it has enough flavor. If you think it needs more, add more seasonings!
5. Serve over your favorite pasta or spaghetti squash.